This project has finally come to a close. It was a fun project and I am glad to see what was once on paper now ready for delivery.
Last we left, the doors had just been formed. Now to round over the edges. I used a roundover bit on the router table.
With the doors, I plan to make working shutters. There really isn't a cheap way of ordering custom shutters. The cheapest way is to do it yourself. I wanted the shutters to be removable in case a shutter breaks down the road. If one does break, I'd hate to have to bust the door a part, so I made a chassis. First I needed to route out rabbet's in the doors for the side bars to set in. The side bars will hold the shutters. You'll see.
Now to make the side rails. I didn't photography the process of cutting 1/2" by 1/2" strips out of the red oak becasue it was a scary process on the table saw. I still have all my fingers.
Once the pieces were cut, I cut them to length on the radial saw.
Once the strips were cut, I rounded them off on the bandsaw to match the routed rabbet. Rounding these is easier than squaring off the rabbet with the chisel.
Now to drill the holes. This took some time to space and measure out. They make jigs, but I don't see myself making these often, so I can't justify buying something that will collect sawdust most of the year. Once measured out, I was able to knock out all of it with the drill press.
I got the small hardware pieces from Rockler. These little pieces were a must for me.
I also ordered long shutter basswood strips from Rockler. I thought about making the shutters out of red oak, but changed my mind.
Here's the back of the door with the shutter chassis inserted.
After the first door was together, I set it in the cabinet. It's finally coming to life.
I wanted the bar in the front of the shutters rather than hidden in the back to help add more dimension to the cabinet. Each shutter needs to have a small hole drilled at the bottom and holes drilled in the bar. Rockler makes small clips that connect the two.
Now that all the shutters are cut and installed, it's time to hang the doors. I put shims all around the doors to hold it down while I maked my pilot holes.
I lucked out. Every door closed perfectly.
Now to disassemble everything to putty and sand for the stain.
Once the doors and cabinet were ready, I brushed the cabinet down with wood conditioner. This soaks into the wood for even staining. This usually keeps the wood from accepting and holding stain in some parts creating splotchiness.
The only parts I didn't condition were the shutters. I liked how the stain soaked into the wood without it. The top is with conditioner and the bottom is without.
Staining was a beast. I only used one coat of stain on everything and 2 coats of polyurethane.
Here's a better shot of how the shutters went together in the chassis.
Once everthing was stained and polyurethaned, It felt really good to put everything back together.
Drilling the holes for the door pulls was a nerve wracking process. Everthing is done and if I screw this up, I don't know what I would do. Actually, I do, but I don't want to do that.
The best way to drill through is to place a scrap piece behind to eliminate wood blowout from the drill.